Katie here. I’d like for you to meet Phil Rulloda, my floral instructor. Yup, here he is from back in the day (wearing gaucho pants, snake skin boots and a belt he made out of palm fronds). Awesome, right?
As promised, I am blogging about my adventures at the Southern California School of Floral Design. This blog is long overdue and I might not promise you any more–but here’s a recap of the last 7 days:
- I have made some of the most hideous corsages of all time. I don’t even want to post a picture with fear that you might think I would make something like this for your wedding.
- I have learned proper techniques for the tasks that I have been doing for the past few years.
- I have learned “classical” (not traditional) styling for floral design.
- I made 3 different sympathy pieces today (floral designs to go on top of a casket).
- I am SOOO excited to CREATE and use the tools I’ve learned on the upcoming jobs we have.
And here are a few miscellaneous items: I learned how to tie bows, care for cut flowers properly, suspend orchids from a vase, invert a rose, sit in the back and look like I’m paying attention while I play Words With Friends, price out flowers properly and what the traditional floral designs are.
It’s been great and I can’t wait to blend these proper techniques with the style and aesthetic of our customers (and us!) to create timeless, unique and inspired designs!